Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Update Chrome to version 32+  (Read 5339 times)

Patrick

• View Profile
Update Chrome to version 32+
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
This is a feature request for Coherent 1.x and also a question about the new Coherent 2.0

Is it possible to update the version of Chrome/WebKit to 32? The reason I ask is that the vendor we use to provide in-game video chat (OpenTok) has just upped their minimum version to Chrome 32 / Firefox 26.

I realize that the 2.0 build is on its way, but the announcement didn't say if there were updates to the rendering engine. I'm crossing my fingers that access to the 2.0 beta will solve all my problems. A guy can hope, right?

Alternatively, is there a way to manually alter the user agent string? I know it's a hack, but it just might do the trick. (Although, there's probably a reason for them to have bumped the min version)

Thanks,
Patrick

Hristo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Update Chrome to version 32+
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
Hi Patrick,

Currently Coherent UI is based on Chromium 28. The upcoming Coherent UI 2.0 will also be based on Chromium 28. Upgrading the Chromium version is a process requiring a lot of resources so we try to limit its updates to no more than a few per year.

However you can easily solve your issue by editing the user agent string. To do this add the lines below to the SystemSettings in the CoherentUISystem.cs file

Code: [Select]
				UserAgent = UserAgentType.UAT_Custom,
CustomUserAgentString = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.154 Safari/537.36",

I just tested it with http://tokbox.com/opentok/tutorials/hello-world/js/demo.html and it works.

pecam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
Any news on when the next scheduled Chromium update will be?

I realize it's a large undertaking for you, but the issues are becoming more serious in our game and will soon render our application of Coherent useless (which would be terrible considering we love Coherent!). We use Coherent UI extensively and for general web browsing by players in the education space (teachers/students). Reported issues with sites such as Google Drive that require updated chromium have increased in the past 6 months, leaving it difficult to manage cloud documents (a major affordance of our application), etc. We've successfully altered the user agent string but it doesn't trick all sites (i.e. Google drive). We also run OpenTok via Coherent which will remove support for their older versions in January (9th) thereby forcing us to upgrade to a version requiring at least Chromium 32 - at which point our voice/video communications will no longer work in-game unless we have updated chromium.   :'(

Is there any possible way I could beg you to increase the priority level on this?!

Hristo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:06:15 AM »
Hi pecam,

I can assure you that updating the Chromium version is one of the very high priority tasks in our backlog.

Indeed this is a large undertaking as it takes huge amount of development time and testing. However this is not the only factor - we also want to make sure that the newer versions are stable and performant enough for the standards of our product before we update. We actually had a lot of requests from customers to keep the current version until a more stable version of Chromium is available.

We have great desire to provide our customers with the best combination of features, stability and speed and that is why so far we've used version 28. After careful consideration we've decided that now we can proceed with the update to a newer Chromium version. We've already started working on the task and it will take a couple of months for the needed code changes to be properly implemented and thoroughly tested on all platforms. In our current roadmap we should have a release with updated Chromium version sometime in February. If there are no major unexpected issues possibly sooner.

Regarding the OpenTok - if you have to use newer version before updated Coherent UI is available and you run into any issues, please contact our support at support@coherent-labs.com. We will be able to assist you with finding an alternative solution until the new version is available.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:38:55 PM by George »

mario44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »
After careful consideration we've decided that now we can proceed with the update to a newer Chromium version. We've already started working on the task and it will take a couple of months for the needed code changes to be properly implemented and thoroughly tested on all platforms. In our current roadmap we should have a release with updated Chromium version sometime in February. If there are no major unexpected issues possibly sooner.

Seeing as we are almost at February, can you at least comment on what new version of Chromium will be used?

Coherent UI is currently on Chromium 28 which was released in July 2013.
The current version as of writing is Chromium 40, released January 2015.

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
We're currently working on updating to version 40. We're also trying to streamline the update process so by the time it's done Coherent UI will be up to chromium 40 or greater.
R&D Director @CoherentLabs

mario44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 07:09:42 AM »
Will Coherent UI be stuck on chromium 28 forever? It feels like all development resources have been shifted to Coherent GT.

Hristo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:57:31 AM »
Hi mario44,

We are actively developing both Coherent GT and Coherent UI.  Regarding the Chromium version of Coherent UI - actually we are in the final stages of testing of our latest Coherent UI version which is based on Chromium 40. It should be available by the end of the month. 

John

• Coherent Labs support
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »
Hello,

Coherent UI 2.6.2.0 is just out and with a Chromium 40 core! You can see the changelog here - http://coherent-labs.com/changelog/.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:38:29 PM by John »

Tags: chromium Webkit